Here are some ideas to try when reading with your child at home.
- Read along together-this will help boost confidence with new texts
- Read a sentence each- this helps your child to focus on the structure and punctuation of sentences
- Take turns to read a paragraph each-this will help highlight how stories are structured into paragraphs
- Model some reading adding expression during speech-this helps develop your child’s confidence to try adding some expression during reading aloud
- Talk about the characters, setting and plot-this helps check understanding and you can make links with personal experiences and other similar stories
- Ask your child to predict what will happen next-this develops focused thinking and furthers understanding
- Talk about any “wow” wordsi.e.new or confusing words and discuss/find out their meanings (on-line dictionary is quick and easy!)- this helps extend vocabulary
- Ask your child why you think an event happened or a character acted in a certain way-this develops reasoning
Most importantly-enjoy reading together!